Ellen Amirkhan: Owner and President
Ellen became the third generation of the Amirkhan family to lead Oriental Rug Cleaning Company when she joined the business in 1980. She is responsible for overseeing all segments of the company’s operations.
Since she joined the company, Ellen has immersed herself in educational opportunities as a way to drive continuous improvement in the business. She has visited virtually ever major rug cleaning operation in the nation, seeking out experts in order to learn their best rug cleaning techniques and apply them to her business. In addition to this hands-on learning, she holds a number of industry certifications. She is certified as: a Master Rug Cleaner; a Certified Rug Specialist by the Association of Rug Care Specialists; an Appraiser of Personal Property, with a specialty in oriental rugs, by the International Society of Appraisers; and a Rug Appraiser with the Oriental Rug Retailers of America.
Ellen is also widely recognized as a leading instructor of the science and technology of rug care, teaching all aspects of the rug cleaning business in course and seminars in the U.S., UK, and Australia. In 2006, she co-founded the Master Rug Cleaner program to meet the need for in-plant training and continuing education. This one-year mentoring program is designed for students who are already running successful rug cleaning businesses and want to grow their operations. Ellen is also co-author of A Comprehensive Guide to Oriental and Specialty Rug Cleaning, a lavishly illustrated and in-depth cleaning and rug identification guide that serves as a reference manual to professional cleaners and rug aficionados alike.
Mirroring her grandfather and father, Ellen invests much of her time participating in industry affairs, which she sees as a way to learn, network, and give back to the industry. She is a past president of the National Institute of Rug Cleaning, the Association of Specialists in Cleaning and Restoration, and the North Texas Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers. She is also a founding member of the Association of Rug Care Specialists.
In addition, Ellen has been widely recognized for her professional and business excellence and her civic involvement.
Her awards include:
- Best Oriental Rug Appraiser (D Home and Garden)
- Best Rug Cleaner (Dallas Observer)
- Best Rug Cleaning Store Front (D Magazine)
- Cornerstone Award for Corporate Leadership and Philanthropic Involvement (Dallas Morning News)
- Ellen A. Amirkhan Distinguished Service Award (North Texas Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers, which named the award for Ellen)
- Distinguished Service Award for Contributions to the Textile Industry (Restoration Industry Association)
- Helen Bradley Distinguished Service Award (Restoration Industry Association)
Ellen is a graduate of Texas Woman’s University with a degree in education and a masters degree in liberal arts from Southern Methodist University.
Armen Dohanian: Vice President of Operations
Armen is a fourth generation rug cleaner, who began working in his family’s business, Bon Ton Rug Cleaners in Boston, Massachusetts, as a teenager. In 2007, Armen joined Oriental Rug Cleaning Company, where he is responsible for all of the cleaning operations. He is a Certified Rug Specialist by the Association of Rug Care Specialists, is a Woolsafe North America Fabric Care Specialist and is a Certified Master Rug Cleaner.
Armen currently serves as president of the Association of Rug Care Specialists, an international trade association dedicated to advancing the art and science of quality rug care.
Armen is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and holds a master’s degree from the Manhattan School of Music.
Jennifer Vickery: Office Manager
Jennifer joined Oriental Rug Cleaning as office manager in 2010, becoming the fourth generation of her family to be involved in the Dallas-area flooring industry. Prior to that, she worked in textile project management. She is a certified Master Rug Cleaner.
Jennifer is a 2004 graduate of Texas A&M University.
Our Team: Our Most Valuable Asset
An important part of our success is finding and hiring the best people possible. What sets us apart from other rug cleaning operations is the experience of our team, the majority of whom have been with Oriental Rug Cleaning for more than a decade. These oustanding professionals are:
- Van Randle, our plant manager and a Certified Rug Specialist, who joined Oriental Rug Cleaning in 1995
- Donnie James, our crew chief who has been with us since 1974
- Dock Johnson III, our rug cleaning technician and highly valued jack of all trades, who joined our team in 1994
- Omer Delic, a rug cleaning technician, who has been with ORCO since 2006
- Ana Karic, who has been expertly repairing rugs for us since 2000
- Almaz Izak, who has been expertly repairing rugs for ORCO since 2000